Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Funny Things Kids Do...Nicholas Style

Kids do funny things. Its one of the best parts of being a mom. Here are a few, compliments of Nicholas, from our recent vacation.

While spending time at the beach, Nicholas asked why the water goes out so far. When we told him that it was because of gravitational pull (or as he calls it 'gravity pull'), the same reason why things fall down when we drop them, he later came up with this gem. While taking a walk out as far as we could go at the peak of low tide, Nicholas started to run backwards towards the water as fast as he could until he fell down. After repeated instances accompanied by lots of fanfare, I ask him why, and his response was, "gravity pull".
It was raining heavily on Saturday and we were house bound. I don't know how he could have been bored with all the toys his grandparents have for him but at one point Jim heard some rustling in the pantry and found this...
As I look at the picture, I realize I need to have a chat with grandma about moving that alcohol stash out of Nicholas' reach.

I think he's been watching too many Curious George episodes becasue he's turning into a little monkey with his climbing. He really wanted to brush his teeth one afternoon and climbed up into the sink all by himself to get his toothbrush.
The wind was really bad at the beach on Tuesday morning so we opted to for other activities. I ended up taking Nicholas to a puppet show. Unfortunately, since we drove to and from the beach and then immediately to the puppet show, Nicholas was in the car for a long stretch and his motion sickness kicked in. He 'spit-up' (threw up) all over himself in his carseat. Thankfully he was still in his swimgear, I had a change of clothes with us, and he could use Alexa's carseat for the ride home. Poor guy was not a happy camper but he bounced back and loved the puppet show.
Nicholas has yet to become truly comfortable in the water. Maybe we didn't start swimming lessons early enough but he's always been a bit on the apprehensive side when it comes to new things. One afternoon Nicholas wanted to go swimming in grandma's pool but decided he didn't want to go inside to change or wait for us to get his suit to change him and headed into the pool nudie patutie. If it makes him happy.

Apparently a cup of parmesan cheese is tastier than a bowl of spaghetti. Although I wouldn't trust his judgement on this as minutes earlier he ate the lemon from Jim's water glass. Oh, how I wish I caught that on film.

No comments: